Thursday, August 22, 2013

Temporary Home and First World Problems

Mr. Firefighter and I have temporarily moved out of our house due to plumbing and A/C problems.  This is how I realized what a spoiled brat I am.

Preppy Pup and I had to spend the night in our hotel last night alone because Mr. FF was working.  Everything looked nice until I decided it was time to go to bed.  I walked from the living/cooking area (since we are out for more than just a couple of days, our insurance company put us in one of the nicer executive suites that is more like a one bedroom apartment) into the bedroom, having changed into pajamas and washed my face much earlier in the evening.  That's when I realized that what I'd thought was the comforter folded at the bottom of the bed was truly just an accent throw and the bedding was really just two rather thin sheets.  I searched the closets and all drawers and cabinets, but no other blanket or bedding was there.  I called the front desk but the person working the night shift did not understand my problem because, after all, it is Georgia in August.  Who really needs all those layers?  Me.  I do.  Even though I was sleeping in long sleeves and long pants.  I turn the A/C down as far as I am allowed and bundle up - that's how I sleep.  I eventually pulled the faux comforter up on top of Preppy Pup and me, along with one of our fleece throws I'd brought to be able to use on the sofa.  I will be getting one of our comforters from our house (we can still be at our house during the day, we just have no running water to actually be able to live out of it - in a week or so, the A/C will be shut off so they can replace all duct work and insulation so it won't be comfortable for us to be there).

If that was the biggest "problem" I had to deal with, I wouldn't have even mentioned it to Mr. FF.  Then I got up this morning (after not sleeping well due to the nonexistence of thick curtains to pull over the windows looking out into the headlight-filled parking lot) to shower and get ready to come back to our house for a little while, only to find when I jumped in the shower that there was no hot water.  It barely got anywhere above Arctic.  I sucked it up, thinking maybe there was a problem with the hot water heaters since it was fairly early and most of the people in the hotel are in town to work so they were up showering and getting ready also.  I called the front desk after I got out of the shower and returned to the cocoon in the bed to warm up and verify my explanation.

No.  They are an "eco-friendly" hotel and DON'T HAVE HOT WATER.  They have water that gets as warm as the health department requires, but no higher.  The suggestion I got was to take a bath and heat water on the stove or in the microwave to add to the lukewarm water.  Seriously??  I cannot believe I am the first person to be upset by this.

Then I thought about it on my ten minute drive back to our house. We own a home and have a warranty and insurance on it that is taking care of us when something goes wrong with it.  We have food to eat.  I have the luxury of having a pet that I can afford to feed.  I had to send jewelry to a relative's house (along with Mr. FF's firearms) because it hasn't been added to our insurance yet - who has to do that?

I am fortunate to only be experiencing these superficial first world problems.  Do I have other, non-superficial problems?  Yes, but I have the capacity to deal with those.  I have a home, clean water (well, at the hotel - the water at home is iffy for the moment, but you get my point), and food.  We are blessed and I'm glad that it took a silly little thing like a cold shower to remind me.

1 comment:

  1. That's how I sleep too! I prefer to sleep in an igloo if possible, under the covers and very cozy. No one understand! Especially my boyfriend. Who thinks I am crazy and is usually huddled under the covers for warmth :P

    Good luck getting back to your home! Life is just so much comfortable when you have all your stuff and everything you need around you and convenient.

    jess
    Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete