Sunday, August 18, 2013

Post-Wedding Blues

So... blah. We've been back home from our honeymoon for a few weeks now, and while our wedding was AMAZING, as was our honeymoon, those are posts to come later.  This is for now.

I don't know what to do with myself.  I threw myself into wedding planning and now I have... nothing.  I am slowly but surely organizing everything and getting situated in our house, but I get overwhelmed trying to do it all on my own.  As I said before, I left my job at the end of last school year, so I am watching and applying for jobs, but that only takes up so many hours of the day.  With Mr. Firefighter as the sole provider (for now... I get a paycheck through the end of the month so I will be getting less picky about jobs after that), I don't feel like I can ask him to come home after a 24 hour shift at the fire station or after an 8-12 hour shift at his part-time job working on a private ambulance (yes... he gets too bored if he stays home) and help me with the house.  For now I'm Holly Housewife... and it is KILLING ME.

On top of that, we are having trouble with our house.  We have busted pipes and are supposed to "minimize" our water consumption because the plumbers can't come and start work until Tuesday (which, considering our drain line carrying WASTE to the sewer system is emptying under our house and flooding the crawl space... making my house a mosquito haven and me cough constantly, is RIDICULOUS.  Plus, the THREE plumbers who came last week to see the problem ALL made fun of my new monogram welcome mat that has LED lights that turn on when someone steps on it.  Stupid boys who don't get it.).  For me - whose main contribution to our household now is doing laundry, cooking, and cleaning - this puts me at even less activity during the day.

Even with various and assorted appointments during the week, I am at a loss of what to do to fill those other hours.  I inherited a sewing machine from my dad (which was actually my mom's from my childhood and he got it in the divorce... don't ask) and thought about doing a lot of DIY design to change up our house, so I dropped it off last Monday to be "tuned up" and made ready for use.  I also helped my mother clean out her fabric stockpile last week and took lots of goodies for me, and I found a ton of good things on sale or clearance at JoAnn's, Hancock, and Hobby Lobby.  Which made the phone call Friday (when my machine was supposed to be READY, not just beginning to be worked on) telling me that they had to order a part and my machine wouldn't be ready until at least next Friday.  In the meantime, I stocked up on patterns (on sale from 70 cents to $1.99, down from $11.95-$17.95) and other sewing notions and ordered a few how-to books on half.com. Hopefully this will prove to be a good distraction.  This also means DIY-themed posts - be warned.

Does anyone have any other suggestions - job avenues I might not have thought of (Political Science degree), cheap or free activities for me or me and the hubs, etc.?


No comments:

Post a Comment