Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ode to Denim

So I'm sort of short. Like 5'3" if I stand up really straight. I also have an hourglass figure, complete with thicker thighs that resulted from over ten years of competitive dance and four years of varsity tennis.

For that reason, I have a tough time finding jeans that fit well and are flattering. If I'm wearing heels (or wallabees), I used to like slight bootcut dark washes. While I still love my Sevens and Earnest Sewns (and my oh so worn, can't bear to throw them out, well-loved Gap jeans from the 4 year period I was a retail slave... back when they had great fits), I've been embracing the straight/skinny leg trend (yes, I know it's been around for a while) lately. Bootcut can lean toward being unflattering on shorter people, especially if you have hips. Finding jeans that fit in the waist but aren't too tight from my hips to thighs has proven difficult lately.

Which brings me to my latest (like last 6 months or so) obsession.

J.Crew Matchstick jeans. I love these. They are flattering without being overly snug. I can wear the same pair out to dinner as well as on casual Friday in front of my students. With a butt, hips, and these freakin' thighs (yes, I am bitter, thanks for asking), finding jeans that are appropriate to wear in front of teenage boys while still looking feminine and not boxy or like I'm drowning can be an issue.

Addressing the short issue: most of my "work" pants have an inseam of 30-32 inches, so I just adjust which shoes I wear so they don't drag the ground. I do the same with the Matchstick jeans, but I have a few different inseam lengths. I have regular (33") and short (31"), but I also have some that have been altered. I think this is one of the best features of the Matchstick jeans. Because the leg opening doesn't change drastically if you go up 3 or 4 inches, like a bootcut or flare would, they still look just as perfect if you need them altered.

I have them in medium/dark and dark washes... I'm expanding into the more medium and medium/light washes by getting 2 or 3 pairs off eBay (sorry y'all, a student teacher's budget does not allow me to drop $98 on a pair of jeans... or much else). I'm usually not a fan of lighter washes, but I know for casual errands in the fall when it's just a little too chilly to wear shorts, lighter jeans can look great with a cute tee. Also, when I have to spend weekends driving to and from Atlanta or in the library at school working on lesson plans and my portfolio, I see myself being a lot more casual than usual. I'm looking forward to fall fashion, maybe because I want to break out my cute boots and sweaters... but probably just because I hate freezing in my classroom and sweating walking to my car. I'd like the car to class transition to be a little more uniform.

Do you have favorite, go-to jeans? Or any other staple to ease the transition to fall? How about the college student/ young professional budget issue? Any tips?

3 comments:

  1. You and I are the same person - short, hourglass, hardest time in the world finding jeans, ha! I wrote down the J. Crew jeans on a sticky. I'm desperate, especially now that fall is approaching and my old jeans are all too big now (so not complaining!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the matchstick jeans. I found a few pairs at a J. Crew outlet once and haven't bought another brand since. I also like true religions, but it depends on the wash as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel, I am short too (5 foot even) and have a little mean on my bones from many years of competitive cheerleading. I always have the toughest time finding pants that actually fit. I will have to look into these pants that you mentioned above because I am getting sick and tired of spending an entire day shopping and never finding a single pair that fits.

    ReplyDelete