Monday, July 5, 2010

Holy Carbonated Beverages Batman

I've discovered a new addiction that is... gasp!... caffeine free!!

Yes, I'm still alive. Are you?

I have developed a ginger ale addiction. Specifically Shweppes diet and raspberry flavors (If you know where I can find diet raspberry, PLEASE let me know!).

I was always one of those people who only had ginger ale when they were sick, but lately I've been trying to be less caffeine-dependant. I don't drink coffee, so it's strictly Diet Coke (NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER offer me a Diet Pepsi... you will not survive the moment.) from whatever-o'clock-it-happens-to-be-when-my-eyes-fly-open (or drag open as so usually happens). As one of my Master Teachers put it during lab hours, I take my caffeine on ice, not in a mug.

But. Yes, there's one of those. But I've come to depend on drinking Diet Coke along with 800mg of Ibuprofen whenever I get a headache, and, call me crazy, I'm just not sure that's the best thing in the world, especially since my cousin had a kidney transplant in his mid 30s because he was a constant user of Ibuprofen when he played college football and it caused kidney failure (not that that's really linked to my caffeine thing, but it's related). See, those headaches happen when the caffeine in my system has gotten low, so I'm really just creating a vicious cycle. I sleep just fine even when I drink a ton of Diet Coke before bed, so I really don't have any effect from it other than as a perk-me-up in the morning and a cause of pain when I don't drink a lot. I decided to cut back over this long weekend since a) with all the rough things going on last week, I was pretty sick feeling constantly, so I was already drinking ginger ale, not Diet coke, and b) starting last Wednesday night, I had a full 6 days (Thursday didn't go to work, Friday was alone in my office and we closed early, have today and tomorrow off) to de-caffeinate my body.

Don't get me wrong, I still heart my Diet Coke. We have a lifelong monogamous relationship going on (at least where my dark coke loyalties lie -- and no, they're not soda, pop, or soda-pop, they're COKE people, geez -- Fresca and, now, ginger ale get the other loyalties) that is not challenged where my caffeine needs are concerned. Plus, I won't have to whiten my teeth as often now.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm, I love diet ginger ale... I usually stay away from sodas completely but it is my drink of choice when I want something "special". I used to be a diet coke addict as well, but I weened myself off of them and feel sooooo much better. Crystal Light, Vitamin Water Zero, and sparkling water are my drinks of choice now. It makes a difference in your health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your diet coke!! who will you be without it?? haha. and yes, anything carbonated in a can is a coke (unless its a brewski). we have developed a coke zero addiction in this household (added on to my already coffee-driven mornings as you know...) but we love fresca. actually now that you mention it, ginger ale is pretty great. i used to be a on-a-plane-ginger-ale-drinker only but i can see it as something pleasant for everyday... oh, new things to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had some leftover ginger ale Memorial Day from a sangria I made and I just decided to try it...loved it!! I would have never thought of ginger ale as a coke replacement until I tried it!

    ReplyDelete