Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Reflection and Decision

"When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person; it merely says something about our own need to be critical." -unknown

I have had a few comments (that have been deleted) over the year that I've been writing this blog that stand out. They are attacks on the things I write and even on me as a person and the individuals I write about. These comments have been petty, and I have responded to them in ways that I am not proud of. I have realized that doing so makes me no better than the individual leaving a comment. I want to change that.

I will not be forced to privatize my blog. I don't think that's a good solution. Instead, I will be monitoring all comments before they are published and not allowing anonymous comments any longer. I apologize if that inconveniences anyone, but these types of comments cause me unnecessary stress and irritation.

This blog is my outlet from the stress I have in my everyday life. I write because it helps me to deal with that stress, and having the ability to have people read my writings and leave comments of encouragement or understanding is why I chose this over simply keeping a journal. The blog world is one of community, where we are able to reach out to one another and help and motivate and laugh. I want to keep that sense of community, but I will not tolerate attacks on my writing or my personal life. I should not have to question myself or things I write or choices I make because of a comment someone leaves. It's simply not fair to me, or to the readers who read because they want to read.

My final thought on the matter is that if you don't like me, or what I write, then don't read the blog. You don't have to, no one is making you, and hopefully, you're an adult who can make the smart decision to not read things that bother or upset you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you blog- keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girlie! Who cares about the blog-haters out there. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you babe. i've always loved our vent sessions together and always look forward to them! they don't realize they shouldn't mess with s&b.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. def agree with that last paragraph. I've had my share as well - people love to hate. :)

    ReplyDelete