Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Oh, Chocolate, How I Shall Miss Thee...

I am Southern Baptist, so technically "we" don't celebrate Lent. However, my Daddy's mother was Catholic and I remember going to many, many masses with her and being in awe of every part of the experience. That being said, I have always loved my Baptist upbringing (Daddy converted when he married my Baptist Mama) and have never had a pull to leave and convert to Catholicism. However, I always gave up something for Lent with my Grandma and have tried to keep up that tradition since she died. This year, I am going to attempt the impossible.

I am giving up chocolate. Well, technically, all chocolate except Nesquick Chocolate Syrup because I drink a glass of chocolate milk every morning instead of eating a whole breakfast (doctor-approved, and yes, I am a 10-year old at heart). I would gag if I tried to drink that much regular milk, and strawberry flavoring just won't cut it. So, yeah, that's all the chocolate I get until Easter.

This will be difficult for me because I adore chocolate and have it in some form daily. I still have half a heart-shaped box of miniature Reese's left from Valentine's Day, I love love love Oreos, brownies, and cakes/pies/cookies... not to mention Snickers and Almond Joys and... well, I can't think of anymore of else my willpower will be gone.

To distract myself, I have ordered (because they don't sell them anywhere in Augusta or close by... I've checked) these (which are obviously the best choice for a TMJ sufferer). Yes, I ordered in bulk. Yes, they are a childish candy. But if it helps me ignore my chocolate cravings, I'm all for it.

What are you ladies giving up? Any tricks to making it through Lent?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't decided yet! But I must by the end of today. ?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well I can tell you the only gas station on your way to visit next weekend that sells them... it's sad that I know that.

    ReplyDelete