Monday, October 12, 2009

Skin Care

Here are some of my favorite skin care items, all of which are purchased on a college student's budget. Warning - lots of pictures to follow!


I rotate between several body washes depeding on the season and what my skin needs:


*Caress Daily Silk - This is a great refreshing body wash. I originally started using it when I was taking a Wellness class this summer (running every morning at 7:30). I always had to come straight to work after class so I showered at the gym. This was the only travel size bottle of body wash I could find that didn't smell horrendous. It didn't matter that I'd just run and worked out for 3 hours, just the smell of this and the way it makes your skin feel is enough to wake you up and make you feel like your day has just started. It's not an overwhelming scent (which is a trend in the products I use, I'm very sensitive to smells), just enough to catch a whiff of once in a while.
*Dial Yogurt with Aloe Vera - I bought this after my beach trip this summer. I was as red as a freshly cooked Maine Lobster and just applying aloe vera after showering didn't help enough. This is incredibly moisturizing and really does help alleviate the pain of a sunburn. I don't remember getting the tight skin that you normally get after showering with a sunburn when I used this product. I use this now when I start to feel my skin getting a little dry.
*Dial Clean and Soft with soy and almond milk - This is the strongest smelling body wash I use. I rarely use it, but it does make my skin feel wonderful. This is Mr. Preppy's favorite (for me to use when I'm not wearing perfume, usually during the day).
*Dove Energy Glow - This has never given me an extra boost of energy in the morning, but I love the way it smells. It never feels too heavy, and also has an accompanying line of lotions that are great during the summer.
This is one of my favorites, and one of Mr. Preppy's. It is Vaseline Cocoa Butter Vitalizing Gel Body Oil with brazilian nut and almond oils... so if you are allergic to nuts, like Palmetto Preppy (thankfully we realized she couldn't use it before she borrowed any) please don't use. It has a very fresh scent without being overwhelming. It is less greasy than most body oils. I can use a very small amount and have plenty to cover both legs. When I say small amount, I mean maybe a dime-sized dollop per leg. Maybe. For less than $10, it really does go a long, long way. I've had my first bottle for close to a year and have used less than 1/4 of it. Granted, I don't use it every day, but I use it often enough to make a dent in any other similar product.

I use Jergen's Naturally Smooth Shave Minimizing lotion and it really does work. If you apply this every day as suggested (it's a great moisturizer with little scent, so who wouldn't?) your hair regrowth really does become much finer and less noticable. I have blonde hair and very minimal body hair anyway, but I can easily go 4 days without noticable regrowth (Gross, I know. I realized this before Mr. Preppy and I started dating, I promise I shave my legs more often than that.). This lotion has been discontinued for some reason, but I bought it in bulk when it was marked down. I'm getting down to the last few bottles, so if anyone knows of a comparable product please let me know!

I adore the Intensive Heel Cream from Ms. Pedicure. It's only about $3 a bottle, so it's a great value as well. I don't have terribly bad feet, but since I wear socks most days my lotion gets absorbed before it can really do its job. I put this on morning and night and it really helps. It's thick enough to not be completely absorbed by cotton socks but not greasy.
I use the Noxzema Triple Clean Face Wash. It makes your skin feel really clean. On the weekends or if I take a shower after work without plans of going out (unless it's to Mr. Preppy's, where I rarely wear makeup) I can't stop running my fingers over my face because my skin feels so amazing. Plus the smell isn't overwhelming.
Probably once a week I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub (usually I use the medicated one). My skin breaks out more severely if I exfoliate too often. This seems to make everyone's list, so I'm sure I don't need to go on about it.
This makeup remover is the absolute best. Each time Victoria's Secret redoes their makeup line, the bottle changes, but the product remains the same. It's not much pricer than the Neutrogena remover I use when I run out of the VS, only 2-3 dollars more, and I think you get more in the bottle. It is one of the few that I can use since I'm sensitive to most makeup removers. I wear waterproof mascara every day and this takes it all off.

I use the AcneFree Cleanser every night to take off the rest of my makeup. Most nights (since I've swapped back to an all white pillowcase) I follow with the toner and repairing lotion. Warning! Since these do contain benzoyl peroxide, they WILL bleach your sheets. I got a new set of light turquoise sheets and in one night I had tiny bleach spots all over the pillowcase. Thankfully I have extra, but I still am going back to an all-white pillowcase on the pillow I use every night.
I use Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment under my primer every day. I just take an extra makeup sponge and apply it all over. It's one of the few that won't peel off when you apply makeup over the top of it. It also works quickly. I'm prone to breakouts and this makes a huge difference in a small amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment