Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Beauty Regime, Part I

This is the first of a series I'll do on my beauty products. This covers makeup, next will be skincare, last will be hair (I take my hair seriously. You'll probably die laughing at me when you see that post.). As you'll see, I don't believe you have to spend tons of money to get quality products, but I do believe in investing in products when they work the best.


I use MAC Prep + Prime Face blended with Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer with SPF 15. I thought about using MAC Prep + Prime with SPF but even the girls who work at the MAC counter advised against it. Apparently it doesn't work nearly as well.



I don't use foundation every day. I'm prone to breakouts even with all oil-free, dermatologist-approved, etc. makeup. However, for nights when we go out and I want smudge-proof lasting makeup, this is the best invention EVER. It really doesn't come off until you wash your face. Plus it blends really well.





If I have any blemishes, I use Physician's Formula Green Gentle Cover Stick. It really neutralizes redness. I always use Physician's Formula Yellow Gentle Cover Stick under my eyes. It helps with the dark circles and blends easier than most.



Next it's Maybelline Shine Free Loose Powder. I've found that it matches my skin tone the best and is really does cut down on the shine throughout the day.



I then lightly dust with Victoria's Very Sexy Secret Mosaic Bronzer (cheekbones, bridge of nose, chin, lightly above eyebrows... where you would naturally start to tan). If I'm going out I usually layer Victoria's Secret Very Sexy Mosaic Blush in Love Story over that. During the day I generally don't. They decided to redesign their line of makeup, so I stocked up on these products. Hopefully they'll have something similar in the new line, I haven't checked yet.





I have very, very, very light eyebrows. Mr. Preppy's mother (who is a hair stylist) usually colors them darker for me so I don't have to use anything to get them to show up. However, when that fades I start with Cover Girl Brow Pencils in Honey Blonde and follow with Clinique Eye Shaper powder in the lightest blonde shade (I can't remember off the top of my head the exact name). I've heard great things about both of these products in darker shades as well, but I KNOW they work wonderfully together for those of us with fair brows.




I usually stay pretty neutral during the day, so my go-to favorite eyeshadow is Jane Eye Zing in You're Golden. It blends well with most skin tones and has a little shimmer to help brighten your eyes. For a night look I usually do smokey eyes in grey or brown tones, depending on the time of year (when I'm tan, brown tones look better, when I'm not grey does). This is almost always my go-to base for those eyes too. Lately I've had to find subsitutes because Wal-Mart (ugh) in my area don't carry this shade anymore and neither does Target. I haven't seen that it's been discontinued, so if anyone knows where to find it, let me know!






What's in store that day or night determines which eyeliner I use. I typically use the Lancome Le Crayon Kohl in Black Coffee during the day and the Jane Be Pure Mineral Gel Eyeliner at night. However, during my long days (when I go to work at 8 and don't get home until 12+ hours later due to class) I use the gel liner because (on me at least) the Lancome can start to smudge and give you the black eye look. For nights out that don't require smokey eyes I still usually layer a darker shadow over whichever liner I use so that it's guaranteed to stay.






I have sensitive eyes, so Maybelline waterproof mascaras usually work best for me. Whatever look I'm going for determines which one I use. The Lash Discovery is my typical daytime look. It gives a lot of length without a lot of clumpiness or too much volume (I think too much volume during the day just looks odd.).

As you can tell, I'm a Maybelline junky. I think they have great products for people who are sensitive to other makeup. Stay tuned for a real post that will (hopefully) be up later tonight, followed by the other Beauty posts in the next week or so. Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment